Text Page Faq

ottobre 26, 2012 in TextPageFaq

The FAQ section is organized in groups of questions according to the following topics:






I have written to duniabeam@unipv.it but I didn’t get an answer. Why?

Only questions which cannot be answered by reading very carefully the Call for Applications, the Application Form and the FAQs section will receive an answer by email.

Who can apply?

Please refers to TARGET GROUP page.

Who select students and staff for mobility flows?

The DUNIA BEAM consortium is responsible for the organisation, selection and the implementation of the individuals’ mobility.A Selection Committee is appointed to select candidates.To figure out the selection of candidatees, see the selection process page.

When will I find out the outcome of my application?

We aim to issue Nominations by the end of April 2014.
What is the difference between an exchange student and a degree-seeking student?

  • An exchange student/staff is registered/employed at a university (home university) and temporarily studies/researches at a partner university (host university). The exchange period for students lasts from 1 semester to max. 10 months. Exchange scholars do not obtain a diploma from the host institution.
  • Degree- seeking students will obtain a diploma from the host university in the EU. Students applying as degree students need to comply with the Host University entry requirements. The admission criteria are detailed under each course description at the point of application, and in the Partner Information Sheet.

I have had before a mobility grant in the EU, can I apply again?

No you can’t.To be eligible LOT-2 students must have not resided nor carried out their main activity (study, work, etc) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years in one of the European countries.This rule is not applicable for Target Group 3 applicants.


Can third-country nationality students living in Europe apply for a mobility flow?

To be eligible LOT-2 students must have not resided nor carried out their main activity (study, work, etc) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years in one of the European countries.This rule is not applicable for Target Group 3 applicants.

How can potential candidates find out about specific admission conditions and apply for an individual mobility flow?

Please see the How to apply section.
How is “staff” defined? 
Academic staff comprises teaching staff or researchers from the universities participating in the Partnership, but also university administrators (rectors, personnel in charge of cooperation offices, admissions and recognition departments, etc). All these categories are eligible candidates for outgoing mobility. They will have to be invited by the host institution member of the Partnership in order to perform training, teaching and/or research activities.Please see Level of mobility page.

Are inter-European or inter-third-country mobility flows allowed?

No. The grant for individual scholarships may not be used for individual mobility flows of Europeans between European institutions or LOT-2 country nationals between third-country institutions involved in the partnership.


Can students or staff benefit from more than one mobility flow?

No. European or third-country student/staff candidates can benefit from a second scholarship for the same type of mobility under another project under the EM Action 2. Furthermore, candidates cannot benefit from more than one mobility activity within the same project.


How can potential candidates find out about specific admission conditions and apply for an individual mobility flow?

Please see the How to apply section.


 I was not able to find any details of applicants’ requirements (such as age, academic profile or area, citizenship restriction, etc.). Is there a document where these requirements are indicated?

Please se the List of Mandatory Documents here.


 Do I need to indicate a particular area of studies on my application form?

Please see what field of studies are offered here.


 What are the conditions required to staff for apply?

In order to be eligible, academic and administrative staff must be nationals of LOT-2 countries or of one of the eligible European countries, and must work in or be associated with a HEI within the partnership.


Should the applications be done by the sending university or should I submit my own application?

The application must be directly done and submitted by the candidate.


 Can I send the original copy (paper/hard copy) of my application by courier?

No. Only online applications will be considered. Please fill in the application, here.


 In which language should I fill the application form? And what about the attachments?

The Application form must be filled in English.

About documents to be uploaded, the call for applications’ guideline states that “candidates have to submit all supporting documents in the official language of instruction of the hosting university, or failing that, in English”.

That is to say, documents to be uploaded should be translated preferably in the language of the host university. Only if it is not possible, you should send it in English.




 Do I need to translate my documents?

For original documents that are not in English, or in the language of instruction at the host university, you must upload scanned versions of certified translations/official translations of all these documents into English or the language of your host country. If not, the host university will not be able to assess the documentation.


What is the second scholarship declaration?

The second scholarship declaration attests that you have not been provided by an Erasmus Mundus Action 2 scholarship in the past.

According to the Erasmus Mundus Action 2 programme guide:

Neither European nor third-country students can benefit from a second scholarship for the same type of mobility under another project under the EMA2-STRAND1.

This rule does not apply to Staff candidates. Furthermore, staff candidates cannot benefit from more than one mobility activity within the same project.

You can find the template here:  Second_scholarship_declaration.


Do I have to attach to the online application all the documents required by the online application tool or could I live any gap?

According to the guidelines of the call for applications, there are some documents which are only required in specific applicable cases.

However, in order to be able to close your application, you need to attach some document. Therefore, we recommend you to attach a document stating that you do not need to submit that information because the requirement is not applicable to your case.


I do not have a passport, can I present any other identity document?

Yes, in addition to the passport copy, any other official document (such as ID Card) giving proof of the candidate’s identity and nationality will be accepted.

What should I include in my Motivation Letters?

Your statement should be no more than 2 pages in length and should detail your motivation for the course, host university and DUNIA BEAM programme in general.


One of the required documents is a curriculum vitae in the European format. Where can I find this format?


What language requirements do I need to fulfil?

Each university states either in their information sheets, or in the prerequisites detailed in the programme information what language proficiency is required in order to be considered eligible for that programme.

Please check this information to ensure you have the required knowledge to follow (or give) courses in the language concerned, here.


I have not received my Language Certificate test results yet and I will not be able to upload it before the deadline of this call. What should I do?

We are sorry, but we do not accept any document after the closing of the call for applications.


I will complete my study programme in a few months from now, so I won’t be able to upload my certificate until the deadline of this call. What should I do?

If you don’t have all required documents now (e.g. you have not yet obtained your degree yet, but you will have obtained it once the mobility starts), please complete a Statement of Commitment (see Documents to be uploaded page) confirming the expected date of graduation which must be before the foreseen starting date of the mobility.

If your application is successful, you will be conditionally accepted and you will be given a certain deadline in order to submit the missing document.


My University doesn’t give official transcript to students: can I send only my official transcript through post? Can my University send my transcript straight to the host institution?


Is the letter of reference the same as the traditional letter of recommendation from a university professor? Is there anything in particular it has to include? Does it have to include my skills and attributes? Is it fine if the letter is written from a dean of a faculty, the rector of a university or a lecturer? Can the letter be written from a person other than a university professor, for example an employer (from my work place)?

Yes, it is a common letter of reference that doesn’t have to include anything in particular. It should refer to your skills, above all academic ones. There’s not a standard format for this letter. It must be written by a university professor: it is fine if the letter is written by a dean or a rector or a lecturer (they are regarded as professors as well). Letters written by persons other than university professors will not be considered. The letter must be hand signed and dated (after 29 OCTOBER 2013).

How many letters of reference do I need to submit?

PhD, Post-doc and Staff : at least 1, maximum 2.


The professor who wrote my letter of reference doesn’t want to give it to me and wants to send it directly. Is it possible?

No. Please, ask you professor to read the call for applications where it is clearly stated that the letter of reference must to be attached to the application form and sent by the applicant.


When is the individual mobility flow to start?

All individual mobility must start at the beginning of the academic year 2013/14 and no later than 31st December 2014.

Staff mobility can start at any time within the project duration, before Summer 2016.


How long can I stay abroad if I am granted a scholarship?

This depends on your type of mobility and on whether you applied for an exchange mobility or a degree-seeking mobility. Please see How long can I stay page.


How can students and staff obtain a visa in order to study in Europe/third countries under an individual mobility flow?

Once students and scholars have received an official confirmation from the DUNIA BEAM consortium that they have been accepted to participate in an individual mobility flow, they can ask for a visa in their home countries via the embassies of their host country (ies).

It has to be borne in mind that obtaining the necessary visas can be a lengthy process. The international offices of the host university will advise you on how to proceed.


Can European and third-country students/staff receive scholarships from other EU programmes for the purpose of following an individual mobility flow? Can incoming students be charged tuition fees?

Only one EU grant can be awarded for the purpose of implementing an action or activity.

In this context, a European or third-country student/ staff member benefiting from a mobility scholarship under the present cooperation scheme is not entitled to be awarded additional grants from other EU initiatives for the same purpose.


Do I have to pay tuition fees?

No, DUNIA BEAM students may not be asked to pay any participation/tuition/registration fees at the host universities.

In order to avoid double imposition of fees, in those cases where the hosting HEI requires the payment of the registration/tuition fees the students must not be charged the same feesby the HEIs of origin.

The payment of tuition fees at the home universities depends on the duration of mobility.

If the duration of the planned mobility is inferior to 10 months, students will continue to pay their registration/tuition fees at the home institution. In case the planned mobility lasts 10 months or longer, the students must not be charged tuition fees by the home universities (applicable for TG1 scholars).


Are students and staff covered by an insurance scheme?

Yes, they are to be covered by a complementary travel, health, accident insurance offered by the partnership and funded with the EU grant allocated to the project.


Where and how are my rights as beneficiary of a Erasmus Mundus Scholarship defined?

In case you are selected for mobility, you will have to sign a Student Agreement with the Partnership prior to your enrolment.

This agreement should define the rights and obligations of both parties and must provide you with a comprehensive picture of all the aspects related to your participation in this Programme such as the participation costs, the course calendar and examination periods and the student’s obligations concerning his/her attendance to the course/activities and academic performance.

This agreement should ensure that both parties, the partnership and the individual participant (yourself) agree on these aspects and their respective responsibilities towards them.


What services can I expect to be offered to me by my host institution?

Host Universities are required to provide practical information and assistance to advise students/staff during pre-arrival stages and to then provide logistical services to aid you settle in to the new environment.

Services provided may include, immigration advice, linguistic support in the form of language courses, information on housing facilities, and information on social activities and orientation programmes.




If I am selected, will my home University recognize my studies at the host University?

If you are an exchange student, the period of study abroad will be entirely recognised by your home university by using Learning Agreement and Transcript of Records tools.

If you are a degree-seeking student, you will by enroll directly in the host university, so you do not need to make any recognition.


How will the academic recognition obtained during my stay in a hosting HEI be ensured?

Academic recognition must be assured by the partnership at the end of the period of studies abroad.

In this context the Learning Agreement and transcript of records are the key documents that ensure the recognition by the home institution of the study period abroad, referring to a Diploma Supplement, if appropriate.

The Learning Agreement should be signed by responsible authorities within the home and hosting HEIs, as well as the student before the mobility starts. Any modifications to the Learning Agreement need to be agreed by all three parties.

What is a Learning Agreement/Research plan/training activity?

Learning Agreement is a plan that details what courses or research/training/teaching activities you intend to achieve during your mobility.

The Learning Agreement should be signed by responsible authorities within the home and hosting universities, as well as the student before the mobility starts. Any modifications to the Learning Agreement need to be agreed by all three parties.

The Learning Agreement and the transcript of records guarantee the transfer of credits for courses passed successfully by the exchange student. The relevant person in charge at the home university carries out the recognition after the student returns to his/her home institution.


What is a “transcript of records”?

A list of exams passed at the host university.


Will I be awarded some form of diploma at the end of my mobility period?

If you are an undergraduate, Masters or PhD exchange student and your scholarship does not cover the whole length of the course, you will not obtain a diploma from the host institution at the end of your mobility period.

However, exchange students will be provided with a transcript of records specifying the credits obtained for each of the courses successfully completed.

If your scholarship is for the whole length of the Master´s course or until completion of your PhD, you will receive the relevant title on successful completion, from your host university in the EU country. You will need to comply with the local admission requirements for that grade.